Root Canal Treatment
At Alexandra Dental Practice we are very gentle with our patients when carrying out Root Canal treatments. We remove the myth around the pain of having root canal treatment. This is often a very simple and painless procedure. After a thorough examination and assessment we will carry out the treatment in a pain free environment where on occasion we have patients that have been so relaxed they have fallen asleep during the procedure.
Why get Root Canal Treatment?
Without treatment your tooth may have to be removed. Your tooth is made of living tissue called pulp. It occupies a very small space in the canal of the tooth. The canals can vary in complexity depending on where the tooth is in your mouth. In a tooth requiring a root canal there can be decay where pulp is damaged and the blood vessels in the tooth die. Where this is the case the tooth itself can become infected causing extreme discomfort. As infection spreads in the tooth it can cause pressure. The aim of this treatment is to remove all of the infection from the root canal. The root is then cleaned and filled to prevent any further infection. Antibiotics will only treat the symptoms and not the cause of the infection.
What is involved in a Root Canal Treatment?
- We carry out a thorough assessment of the teeth to see of the root can be saved.
- Infection is then removed from the tooth. This may involve an antibiotic in more serious cases.
- Remove the discomfort often felt by people requiring root canal treatment.
- The canal is then cleaned and shaped for a filling (Visible on X-Rays)
- A temporary filling is then placed in the tooth to allow it to settle after the treatment.
- The tooth is then checked at a subsequent appointment. If possible, it is then filled permanently at this point.
- 90% of Root Canals are successful and the pain does not return.
- If the root canal fails don’t worry, there are a number of options open to you that the dentist will explain in detail. This leaves you in full control of your treatment.
Advantages of Root Canal Treatment
- You get to keep your tooth
- Tooth removal can result in changes to the shape of your mouth, a successful root canal can prevent this.
- It can sometimes prevent the necessity for further more expensive treatment in the future.