We offer predictable permanent treatment solutions to replace missing teeth and gaps, restoring your confidence, your ability to chew, and help you regain your smile.
We have the latest technology and use only the leading dental implant systems and laboratories to provide the very best results.
We take the area of Dental Implants so seriously we have dedicated an entire website solely to the area of implant dentistry so that patients are in no doubt about the quality of care we provide.
What are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is essentially like a tooth root but made out of titanium, one of the hardest metals. This is then placed where the tooth root should be.
It is important that the placement of the implant into the correct area is exact as even the smallest of errors can result in difficulties in the future. This is why it is so important to choose your implant surgeon carefully. To eliminate any errors not only are our implant surgeons highly trained, we also use the latest in technology by way of advanced x-rays and guides or stents allowing for precise placement.
Once the implant is in place a porcelain crown (tooth) is placed over the titanium root (implant) leaving you with a fully functional tooth.
The Dental Implant Procedure
Surprisingly fast, impressively efficient process
1. Dental Implant Consultation – Begin your journey to achieving a fantastic smile with a basic consultation with Dr. O’Donovan or Dr. Murphy. You will have a 3D CT Scan at our clinic and a detailed assessment of your teeth. From this we can clearly see the current condition of your teeth and your jaw after which we carefully plan your case.
2. 3D CT Scan for maximum accuracy - The scan is different from conventional X-Rays as it allows us to view your jaw in 3D. This allows for an unparalleled safety margin as we can visualize where all of the important anatomical features are such as nerves, sinuses and arteries. This is not possible with a standard X-Ray.
3. Post Consultation - After your consultation we will forward you a written treatment plan so that you can see the process and costing specific to your treatment. If you wish to proceed with treatment an appointment will be scheduled to take impressions for stone models of your teeth.
4. Our Dental Implant Systems - The two Dental Implant Systems that we use are called Nobel Biocare and Biohorizons. Nobel Biocare is the original and leading implant system having been established over 40 years. Both Nobel Biocare and Biohorizons have a fantastic international reputation. With Nobel Biocare or Biohorizons no matter where in the world you are you can access a dentist that can deal with either system.
5. Feeling Nervous - If you are nervous about getting this treatment then really, there is no need to worry. We would not let a dentist undertake this procedure that has not undergone significant and reputable additional training in the area of Implantology. We have a high success rate with many happy customers. This success is further underlined by our testimonials. Remember, with us, you are in complete control. We go at your pace and only do what is needed, no more, no less.
6. Aftercare Treatment - We understand that having had your treatment completed the first thing you would like to do is rest in the comfort of your own home. We can provide you with pain relief medicine and simple instructions on how to look after your new dental implant(s) so that you can go home directly after your appointment. It is all part of the comprehensive patient care that we provide at Alexandra Dental Practice.
7. Ongoing help and support - Every patient is given their Dental Surgeons mobile line so that in the rare instance when an issue arises for out patients you are able to call your dentist directly. All patients are given a courtesy call from the surgery within three days to make sure you are happy and to check that you are comfortable. We are here for you every step of the way and all dental implants are protected by our 5 year guarantee*. (See Details)
Should I replace My Missing teeth?
When you lose a tooth you start a whole cycle that will have a domino effect on the rest of your teeth. The remaining teeth will start to drift over time and can lead to a noticeable difference in the structure of your teeth.
Comparing Dental Implants to Dentures:
a) Lets face it, no one wants to wear a denture – They are embarrassing, uncomfortable, they don’t allow you to taste your food properly and you have to deal with sticky denture glue. Fortunately dentures are no longer the only option for our patients. Dental Implants can provide you with teeth fixed permanently in place using techniques such as “All on 4s”. Implants just don’t replace your teeth, they restore your dignity, confidence, and your sense of well-being.
b) You don’t mind the denture but its so loose – The longer your wear dentures the looser they become. Some people don’t mind wearing dentures and that is fine, but when they become loose they can be sore. The pain caused by the denture coupled with the worry of the denture slipping out can cause most people a considerable amount of stress.
c) I have gum disease, my dentist says I’m not a candidate as I don’t have enough bone – This is not necessarily true. In many cases dental implants will actually preserve the surrounding bone thereby slowing down, or even preventing further gum disease or bone loss. There are short implants which can be used or in some cases at Alexandra we can preform bone grafting to replace bone where it is missing.
Benefits of Dental Implants
1. Increased confidence - Guaranteed to bring back your smile and restore your confidence in any social setting. Chatting with friends, a business meeting, a night out…. With the added confidence of a smile, offer those you talk to an insight into the real you. Some of our patients were so affected by having bad teeth that in the privacy of their own home they could’nt even look in the mirror. At Alexandra Dental Practice our aim is to make that smile a part of everyday life for our patients. Looking in a mirror, facing a crowd, on a date… things will never be the same for the patients we treat. Restoring confidence in you and your smile is everything we could hope to achieve.
2. Attractive youthful smile - Bad teeth can age a person far beyond their years. At Alexandra Dental Practice we strive to restore a youthful look to our patients through their smile. The curve of a smile effects every part of your facial expression. We have the expertise and the technology to bring you on an exciting journey of renewal. Our motto is “you’re never to old to look great”.
3. Ability to taste food again
At Alexandra Dental Practice we understand how any of the below questions can be a cause of great stress for our patients. We can change the way you eat for the better. Dental Implants create stability in your mouth and confidence in your teeth so that you can sit down to a meal and cook or order any food you want. The effects of not chewing are well documented. At Alexandra Dental Practice we want to change this for the better and for good.
- Do you want to be able to dine at home or in a restaurant without any worries?
- Do you want to taste food, be able chew food and enjoy eating again?
- Do your dentures, your bad teeth or your bad breath effect the taste of your food?
- Do your dentures annoy you when you eat?
- Are you embarrassed when food gets caught in your denture?
- Do you get sore teeth from eating?
- Do you go into a restaurant and pick your food to suit your denture?
- Have you stopped going out for a meal altogether?
- Are your dentures dropping out when you’re talking?
4. Increased Health
Did you know that Dental Disease and decay is associated with the following conditions:
- Heart Disease
- Respiratory Disease
While you don’t need dental implants to decrease the risk of the conditions listed, the removal of teeth with poor prognosis can often help reduce the risk. Having dental implants placed greatly increases the number of foods you can eat assisting in the absorption and intake of more nutrients in your diet.
5. Look amazing and feel great - It goes without saying that a beautiful smile can look amazing. We strive to achieve a smile that the patient will be delighted to see. Please take a look at our gallery of work that we have done to date and see what amazing looks like.
6. Save surrounding teeth - If you lose a tooth you have a number of options to restore your smile. There is however only one solution that truly mimics a real tooth. Dental Implants are secured to the jawbone and continue to stimulate bone growth. This prevents the bone from thinning and impacting on your facial structure and surrounding teeth. A dental implant also fills the gap between your remaining teeth and supports them preventing them from slipping. Dental implants help prevent receding gums, tooth decay, crooked teeth and further tooth loss.
Bone Grafting for Dental Implants
Restoring your jaw to support dental implants
Bone grafting is a procedure that involves building up layers of bone to its former structure. This treatment is for patients who would like dental implants but have suffered from bone loss in the jaw.
We use the following methods:
Purified Bovine Bone
If you do not have enough of your own bone available at the implant site we have a simple method of recreating bone. We use purified bovine bone. This essentially acts as a scaffold for your bone to grow around the implant and integrate with it. It is usually placed at the time of the tooth extraction to minimize shrinking of the bone.
If there are substantial amounts of bone missing where we want to place an implant an autogenous bone graft may be necessary. In this case a piece of bone is taken from a donor site, usually the back of the jaw, and placed where we need the new bone to grow. This procedure is not carried out all that often.
In very rare cases a graft from the hip or elsewhere may be necessary. In this case we must refer you to a Specialist in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery for grafting as this procedure is carried out under general anesthetic.
Professional Care Every Step of the way
We are so confident in the level of our work and the materials that we use we offer our patients a 5-year guarantee for our dental implant work. The only thing we ask is that you attend at least every 6 months for a check up on the work and maintain regular visits to the hygienist. If you follow this regime and co-operate with any advice or recommendations in respect of the dental work we have carried out we will give you a 5-year guarantee.
This guarantee will be invalidated if:
- Oral hygiene is neglected
- Dentists’ instructions are not followed
- Dentures are not maintained properly
- No Check, scale or polish in 6 month intervals
- Gum tissue, teeth, bone naturally reducing
- Substantial amount of weight loss or gain occurs within a short period of time.
- Damage caused by accidents, sports injury or any third party
- Payment obligations not fulfilled
- Smoking, alcohol, or drug abuse occurs
- A general illness is present which can effect health in the oral cavity (e.g. diabetes, epilepsy, osteoporosis, after-condition excessive X-Rays or chemotherapy)